Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Vegetable Challenge

Okay, enough dessert recipes -- I'm challenging myself to cook with vegetables for one week. I've mentioned before that I belong to an organic vegetable & fruit co-op. Every two weeks, I get a laundry basket full of seasonal, organic, mostly locally grown produce. The fruit is never a problem to consume, but the vegetables -- well, that's another matter. I like to think that I eat and cook healthily, but the reality is that I don't. The vegetables often rot in the crisper and end up as compost. So, this week I will cook and consume ALL the vegetables. Here's what I got today:

Parsnips
Carrots
Romaine lettuce hearts
1 giant sweet potato
Several white sweet potatoes
1 cheese pumpkin
Sweet peppers
Celery
Dandelion greens

Looking over the list, it doesn't look like all that much. How hard could it be to cook it all in a week? I've already decided to let myself off the hook with the dandelion greens and give them to a vegetarian neighbor. I don't like dandelion greens, no one else in my family will eat them and I just can't think of anything creative to do with them.

Right, I'm off to peel and cube some veggies for roasting tonight. Check back in for recipes.

1 comment:

jamesnyc said...

So how is that vegetable challenge going?