Saturday, March 12, 2011

Waste not, want not French Toast

I'm becoming a martinet about wasted food. Did you know that according to the USDA, Americans throw out about 20% of the food we buy? I know we throw out way too much food in my house. Part of it is that I simply have no sense of portion sizes and always put too much food on my son's plates in the hope that they'll eat it. I don't know why more is better in these obese times, but there you have it. The other part of it is that after 10+ years living in the suburbs, I still can't manage this once a week shopping efficiently. I always buy too much of one thing and run out of another. By the end of the week, for example, I have various heels of stale bread sitting in my bread drawer. Usually, I end up chucking them, but today I was on a mission to reduce food waste in this house. So, here's what I cobbled together from the internet and my head. We'll be enjoying this for pre-church breakfast tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it is!

Ingredients:

Enough cubed, stale bread to fill an 11 x 13 pan
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar w/
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs

Method:

1. Pour butter into bottom of pan
2. Place half of the cubed bread in the pan, sprinkle with half of the brown sugar/spice mixture.
3. Place the rest of the bread on top.
4. Beat eggs, milk and vanilla together, pour over all the bread.
5. Cover with tin foil, let sit in refrigerator overnight.
6. In the morning, bake, covered, for 30 minutes @ 350. (No need to pre-heat oven.) Uncover pan and bake for another 10 minutes until browned and set.

No comments: