Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pasta Bean Toss

Okay, so the majority of things I post are sweet -- my dirty little secret is that I don't really care about food all that much. I mean, I don't JUST eat sweets, but I wish I could.

This recipe below is adapted from one in the April 2010 issue of "Runner's World". I like it because it's easy, pasta-based and my kids will eat it without weeping.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound whole-grain penne
1 medium red onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp vegetable oil
3 carrots, cut julienne-style
1 cup raw broccoli florets or snow peas
1 8 oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp fresh basil (optional)
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Method:

1. Cook pasta.
2. While pasta cooks, saute onion & garlic in a large frying pan until tender. Add remaining vegetables, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce & basil, if using.
3. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then add beans and simmer about 2 more minutes, or until veggies are tender.
4. Toss in pasta and cheese. Serve.

Serves 3.

No comments: