Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ravioli

Ravioli is one of my go-to dinners when I have no other ideas. I get the kind with spinach filling so I can pretend my children are eating vegetables. (Seriously, does a teaspoon of spinach count as a serving? I don't think so!) I don't usually go to all this trouble, but this recipe doesn't seem so hard.

(Adapted from the March 2010 issue of Cooking Light and it's what's for dinner tonight):

Ingredients:

9 oz package of frozen ravioli
1 cup green beans (cut into 2" bits)
1/4 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned will do)
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh grated parmesan

Method:

1. Cook ravioli. Add green beans during the last 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Combine sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, chopped tomatoes and garlic in a large bowl. Add ravioli, beans, salt & pepper; toss gently to combine.
3. Top with cheese and serve!

Confession:

I didn't have the sun-dried tomatoes that I thought I had, but this tasted okay. Though I think they would butch up the sauce and shouldn't be skipped.

2nd Confession:

One child liked this, the other dissolved in a puddle of tears when served this. He is now pathetically trying to eat a single ravioli (that has been scraped clean of sauce) while choking and weeping in order to qualify for chocolate cake. How's that for excellent parenting?





No comments: