Saturday, December 18, 2010

Vegan Pumpkin Bread

from Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet"

This is shockingly good!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups pureed pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar (Alicia suggests maple sugar, but that cost $27.99 at my health food store.)
1 "egg" (1 tbsp flax seeds pureed with 3 tbsp water)
1/2 cup almond milk
3/8 cup safflower oil (I used canola because it was what I had)
2 cups spelt flower
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp mace
1/2 cup vegan carob chips

Method:

I made this in my breadmaker.

1. Put all wet ingredients in breadmaker, set on "cake" setting. Let it mix for approximately 12 minutes (when it starts to beep), then add the dry ingredients (I put them all in a sifter and sifted them into the breadmaker pan.) Add chips when all flour is mixed in.

2. Wait until breadmaker is done.

If you want to make this the old fashioned mixing bowl - oven way, make sure to oil your 9"x 5" loaf pan and bake at 350* for 45 to 60 minutes.


No comments: