Saturday, October 6, 2007

Apple Spice Bread



This is from a recipe my friend Elissa gave me that she got from "The New American Plate" cookbook. I've made enough changes to the recipe to feel that I'm not going to get sued for copyright infringement. It's a dense, moist, yummy cake that's perfect for Fall when you've made enough apple pies and crumbles and still have half a crate of apples. And as you can see from the picture, there's not much left.




APPLE SPICE BREAD:

2 firm, tart apples -- cored and grated (place grated apple in a tea towel to wring out excess moisture)
2 TBS lemon juice
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
2 TBS ground flax meal
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. each of allspice, ginger and cardamom
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
(1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)**
3 TBS canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

** Next time I try this, I'm going to omit the applesauce because the grated apples are moist enough and I think the applesauce just contributes to the gumminess of the bread.

1. Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with a Pam-like spray substance.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Combine all wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
4. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined -- don't use a mixer or else the bread else will get very tough
5. Put in loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until done (you know how to check that.)

I found that this was a little bland, although healthy. I poured a simple glaze on top (confectioner's sugar and a bit of milk) to help taste it up. This would be a good thing to bring to that relative who's watching their cholesterol.

No comments: