Saturday, October 6, 2007

Chocolate Pancakes


Breakfast this morning. I like to make a big batch of silver dollar sized pancakes on the weekends and freeze whatever we don't eat for those school mornings when pancakes are ordered!
My basic pancake recipe:
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg
I often add 2 TBS wheat germ or 2 TBS ground flax meal, but I didn't today. Instead, for the chocolatiness, I added a glop (say 1/4 cup?) of Nutella. Protein, right?
I find that pancakes really are lighter when you use buttermilk, although I didn't have any on hand this morning. Frankly, I've never found that the old substitution of adding lemon juice to milk works the same as the real stuff. Just buy a quart of buttermilk every couple of weeks -- it never goes bad (or at least, who can tell?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My kids loved these. Nutella is a great idea. Thanks!