Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cauliflower


I notice that the majority of my blog entries are for desserts. I just can't deny the fact that I don't care for cooking main courses. There is no fun if there's no sugar. However, I feel the need to experiment outside of my comfort zone and am determined to blog a vegetable dish each week.


You see, I was always brought up with vegetables that were either steamed or boiled to death. (The legacy of a stalwart, British/Colonial mother.) Vegetables were supposed to be healthy, so there could be no adulteration in the form of glazes or sauces or butter or anything tasty that might add calories, fat or sodium. Consequently, I am not a big fan of the cooked vegetable. However, I belong to an organic produce co-op and every other week I get a laundry basket full of fruits and vegetables. The fruit is no problem to consume, but there have been weeks when my compost pile has benefitted more than my stomach has.

This week's challenge vegetable is -- well, there are several, but I'll just start with the cauliflower. Never much cared for it -- served simply steamed, it is kind of nasty looking and a bit smelly. (Plus, it didn't help that the Elephant Man was described as having a monstrous looking "cauliflower ear".)

1 head cauliflower, broken up into florets
2 TBS olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup bread crumbs (be a martyr and make your own from stale bread by whizzing them in the food processor or blender. I, however, used Progresso Italian Style)
1 TBS fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp. dried tarragon
1 TBS Dijon mustard

1. Steam cauliflower until just short of tender
2. Saute garlic and oil in a large frying pan. Add bread crumbs after garlic is fragrant and golden. Cook for a few minutes and then add parsley, tarragon and mustard. Mix it all together and warm it through. Add steamed cauliflower, toss well and serve.

It is actually yummy!

No comments: