Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Swiss Oatmeal


I don't know about you, but I am always looking for some magical recipe that will make breakfast for me. This comes pretty close. I haven't yet fed this to the boys because I've eaten it all myself. Maybe next time . . .

Swiss Oatmeal
(From Better Homes and Gardens, October 2007)

1 1/2 cups of water
3/4 cup steel cut oats (you know, the fancy, long cooking oats in the green and white cans)
3/4 cup milk
6 oz. plain yogurt
3 TBSP honey
1/4 tsp apple pie spice*
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup assorted dried fruit

1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds
Sliced banana

1. Combine water and oats in a saucepan. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in milk, yogurt, 2 TBSP honey, apple pie spice, salt and dried fruits. Cover; chill for 12 hours of up to 3 days.

2. To serve, heat oatmeal in saucepan over low heat for 10 minutes (or in microwave for 1 minute). Stir in remaining 1 TBSP honey. Divide into bowls, top with almonds and banana slices.

Makes about 4 bowls.




*2 pinches cinnamon, 1 pinch each nutmeg, cardamom & allspice

No comments: